Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My 6 year old bixer came in season 5 months ago and is

My 6 year old bixer bitch came in season 5 months ago and is still losing blood. My vet said as long as it isnt green and smelly leave her and she will stop eventually. Is this right. I would have thought thst it was signs if problems
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

Continued bleeding for 5 months is definitely NOT normal,

Dr. Drew :

and I would be quite concerned about some sort of hormonal imbalance occurring, causing her reproductive tract to fail to return to a normal "anestrus" state after cycling.

Dr. Drew :

I disagree with your vet's suggestion to wait and have it stop eventually -- perhaps for 1-2 months I could possibly go along with that,

Dr. Drew :

but after 5 months, this issue needs to be investigated!