Dr. Maggie
Dr. Maggie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinarian, General Practitioner
63244966

My eight month old cocker spaniel poos between three and six

My eight month old cocker spaniel poos between three and six times a day and eats her own poo. She knows she shouldn't, and I do try to clear up after her, but because of the amount it's not always possible to clear every poo from a large garden. She also eats grass, and will also sometimes eats my other spaniel's poo. I find this repulsive and it's really affecting our relationship.

I gave made several (gradual) changes of food, but nothing helps. Her poos are generally firm and brown, but there seems a lot and they are clearly irresistible. I tried repel um tablets, but they didn't work. Please help!

Caroline
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Maggie replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Maggie :

Hi, this is Dr. Maggie - I am going to try to answer your question today.

Dr. Maggie :

With dog's eating feces, the products I have used in the past that work the best are either CoproBan or ForBid.

Dr. Maggie :

The trick being that you have to feed this product to ALL of your pets in the home.

Dr. Maggie :

An alternative that I have had clients try is feeding a little bit of pineapple in the dog food.

Dr. Maggie :

I have had clients report to me that this works, but I haven't had as much experience with the pineapple as I have the Forbid and CoproBan.

Dr. Maggie :

Both CoproBan and Forbid can be purchased online through any major pet supply company.

Dr. Maggie :

They typically come in powder form and need to be given for a week (or more).

Dr. Maggie :

This in combination with keeping stool picked up as best as possible will be your best bet at breaking the habit.

Dr. Maggie :

Any other questions I can help you with today?

Customer: Thanks for this. Which would you suggest I try first? Coproban or Forbid? The repel ums didn't have any effect, so I hope these work better.
Dr. Maggie :

I have had the most experience with Forbid, but CoproBan would be a similar product if you can't find Forbid. Either one should work for you.

Dr. Maggie :

Hopefully you have better results with these products.

Dr. Maggie :

If you found this information helpful, please rate my response positively.

Customer: Thank you.
Dr. Maggie :

You are welcome and thanks for using Just Answer!