Doctor H
Doctor H, Veterinarian
Experience:  5.5 years experience practicing small animal medicine in a large urban setting
24698571

my westie has developed a limp in his back right leg he doesnt

my westie has developed a limp in his back right leg he doesn't seem to be in any pain at all
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doctor H replied 3 years ago.

Doctor H :

Hi this is Doctor H and I would be happy to help you.

Doctor H :

When did the limping start?

Customer:

2 days ago

Doctor H :

Okay, and has it been getting better, getting worse, or staying the same?

Customer:

staying the same

Doctor H :

And did anything appear to precede it? Any high level activity? Running or playing fetch, for instance?

Customer:

just a normal walk off his lead

Doctor H :

And has he ever had issues with his back legs before? For instance, any 'skipping' when he's running or walking very quickly?

Customer:

he skips intermittently

Doctor H :

On both legs, the right, or the left?

Customer:

both legs

Doctor H :

And what is the limping like now? Will he place any weight on it, some weight on it, or none at all?

Customer:

some weight on it

Doctor H :

Okay. While it could be a soft tissue injury I'd be very suspicious of something called medial patellar luxation.

Doctor H :

This is an issue, common in smaller to medium sized dogs, that results in an intermittent skipping. It's due to inward displacement of the kneecap due to some abnormalities in the structure of the hiind legs

Doctor H :

While skipping may be intermittent they can do something to inflame it, increasing the severity of the lameness.

Doctor H :

I would recommend having him seen by your vet, who will likely prescribe some tramadol (weak acting opiate) +/- non steroidals.

Doctor H :

In the meantime, I would limit his activity (preferably cage rest, short walks on leash that end as soon has he's done eliminating) in order make sure he doesn't re-inflame the issue.

Customer:

thank you very much

Doctor H :

You're welcome. Do you have any questions for me regarding this?

Customer:

no

Doctor H :

Okay, well best of luck to you and Wesley. Kindly rate my service so I may know how well I assisted you today :)