Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years experience in Small Animal veterinary practice
23462335

my shitsu is constipated and straining as he strains he is

Customer Question

my shitsu is constipated and straining as he strains he is dripping saliva
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I am sorry your dog is straining. There are many causes for apparent straining. So firstly, it is important to determine that he is straining to pass a motion and not to urinate. If he is straining to urinate then he will require urgent veterinary attention. If he is definitely straining to defecate then the need for veterinary attention is very much dependant on his pain level and his ability to pass any motion at all. If he cannot pass anything then he will need to be exmained soon as prolonged straining can cause herniation of the rectum, which is very serious. If he is passing motions and is bright and happy then you could consider a laxative diet and seeing how he goes, and this would involve adding a teaspoon or two of vegetable oil on to his food. The causes of constipation range from physical blockage form a foreign body or rectal mass/impacted anal glands to dried faeces or poorly mobile intestines. If he is unable to pass anything and he is in pain then you should get him checked today to avoid further damage being caused. Good luck Dan Makin