Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

My retriever is nine years old - I re-homed him 1 year ago-at

My retriever is nine years old - I re-homed him 1 year ago-at some stage of his previous life he had anterior cruciate ligament operation on a back leg which seems to trouble him also he has the usual joint problems of a heavy dog - would it be ok to feed him glucosomate 1000 mg capsules? if so, what dosage do you recommend?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 3 years ago.
This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help but I have a few questions.

How much does he weigh?
Does he take any medications now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry dont know his weight but I have him on permanent diet food as he was fairly overweight when I got him - but he is a particularly solid type of build and very sturdy looking.

His only pills recently have been :Pardale: for the pain.

Thank you for the information. Be careful with the pardale. Paracetamol (acetaminophen in the US) can cause signifcant liver, kidney and intestinal problems when used for long periods. It's only typically intended to be used occasionally or in short stretches (such as a few days). There are other, safer options that have better effect against arthritis such as carprofen but they typically require a prescription (at least they do in the US) so make sure to talk to your vet about them. Glucosamine is an excellent choice. I would recommend giving 2000mg daily. It is very safe and should be used long term. It helps improve the health of the cartilage in the joint and takes time to start working. You can also given 1000-1200 mg of fish oil daily and they may also help some. Getting him to lose some weight is also an excellent idea. If you have more questions please reply back.