Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Hi. My 1 year old boxer for the last 24 hours keeps been sick.

Customer Question

Hi. My 1 year old boxer for the last 24 hours keeps been sick. Anything that we have put down for her to eat she doesn't want and isn't drinking her water. She has been sleeping for most off the time. I understand that she will be weak. Can dogs get 24 hour bugs or should I take her to the vet?? Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome - My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Well dogs, especially young ones like Suzie can get 24 hour bugs and then recover, this would be quite common especially if they had eaten something they should not have.

Scott Nimmo :

I normally suggest home remedies where dogs say have vomiting and diarrhoea but are otherwise quite bright but where they are lethargic and sleeping as in your case then this could be because they are running a temperature ...

Scott Nimmo :

In cases like that it would be best to have a vet check her over in case prescription drugs such as antibiotics are required ...

Scott Nimmo :

I am happy to suggest home remedies if you so wish but having read your question thoroughly I have to say the safest thing to do is to get a vet involved.

Scott Nimmo :

Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone while waiting for their vet's appointment. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance.

Customer: That's great will try that until we get her to the vets. Thank you.
Hello again Andrew,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating and bonus, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a couple of days to check on Suzie's progress, and I should also be about for the next couple of hours, so get straight back to me if things change and you want to talk things over further.

However in the meantime if you should receive any surveys related to my advice to you today then I would very much appreciate it if you could take the time to rate my performance further as this helps my standing on the site.

Kindest regards,

Scott

If I can ever advise you again at any future point then you can contact me directly via this link : http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-scottvet/
{ Please bookmark it }
Hello again Andrew,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Suzie is getting on.

How are things going with her at present?

Regards,

Scott