Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a 10yr old Female Rotweiller. I am worried about these

Customer Question

I have a 10yr old Female Rotweiller. I am worried about these changes in her..can you advise..
1: Food intake has gone from 3x400g tins a day to 1 to 1.5,but have to be given little and often.
2: After she has eaten she has to have a large drink of water, she then Pants for a while afterwards.
3: Her Urine does have an offensive smell, but does not go any more frequently.
4: Bowel movement has gone from 3 large amounts a day to 1 movement but is very hard faeces and 2/3 little "pebbles".
5:If she exerts herself, i.e going up stairs she pants afterwards and is finding it a struggle to get up.
6: She is not whimpering or crying as if in pain.

Generally she is o.k, she looks at us and waggles her stump, she 'bullies' us for her biscuits, she has a woof if anyone/thing goes by the house, she does her usual 'things'.

If you could help in any way it would be most appreciated,
Sue
Sue
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning Sue and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is not unusual in older dogs, Sue, for their digestive tract to not be as competent as when they are younger which would account for the change in eating habits and stool changes. It is also not unusual for older dogs like Molly to have arthritis that is starting to interfere with the nerve supply that will cause pain that is showing as this panting and difficulty climbing stairs.

I would recommend that you give Molly a daily supplement of Glucosamine/Chondroitin available at the pet store and give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to decrease any inflammation that may be causing this interference with teh nerve supply to her legs.

Change her food, Sue, to a senior dog food for dogs with a sensitive stomach. This is available at the pet store as Royal canin or Science Diet.

If this does not help, have your vet examien Molly and run blood work to determine if there may be a metabolic issue causing these changes in her patterns.

Does that make sense to you, Sue?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Sue, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope this helps Molly past this.

Have a wonderful day!