Dr. Ann
Dr. Ann, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 20 years and a dog owner for 30 years.
13950383

My dog is always licking his feet and sometimes l think hes

Customer Question

My dog is always licking his feet and sometimes l think hes going to pull his nails out about a month ago he started licking his bum after a visit to the groomers l got antibiotics and steriods but he is still doing it not as much lv been told it could be allergies , l want to stop all the food he gets and just give him one thing , but l want to make sure he is getting enough could you please advice.what do you think about the allergy food you get at the pet shop its dear but does it work.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Ann :

Hi there! When a dog constantly licks his feet, it is often a sign of allergies. The big question to answer is what is he allergic to? That becomes a little tricky to answer. It is often an adverse reaction to food. A food elimination diet is generally recommended. That means that your dog only gets one type of food, no treats, no snacks, nothing other than that food. We generally recommend a diet that has a different protein source than what your dog has been eating. In other words, if he has been eating a chicken based dog food, go to a fish based dog food. Generally the new food is tried for 4-6 weeks and if improvement is seen, you reintroduce the old food to see if the symptoms come back. If so, you have your answer. This whole process can take some time to eliminate the offending ingredient. Your dog may also have an allergy to pollens in the air. If this is the case, an entirely different approach will need to be taken. If you try the allergy food from the petstore, just pay attention to the protein source. If that food doesn't work, look for a different brand or different protein source. Please feel free to let me know if you need any more information. Skin issues are some of the most difficult and frustrating problems we face in the practice of veterinary medicine. Dr. Ann