Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 4 year old male Labradoodle has started exhibiting strange

Customer Question

My 4 year old male Labradoodle has started exhibiting strange behaviour some evenings when we settle down for the night. Sometimes we are all, (self,husband and son) in. A couple of times I have been on my own.
It starts by him panting heavily, then he comes up to me staring and panting and quivering and can't get close enough to me. He paws me and climbs on top of me on the settee. Ordinarily he is calm, well behaved and never gets on the furniture.
I have tried putting him outside, taking him for a walk, trying to soothe him, taking myself out of the room. Getting annoyed just makes him worse and he cowers. Each thing I try doesn't work the next time.
The episodes lasted a few minutes originally but it is becoming harder to break him out of it. The rest of the time he seems absolutely fine. He is exercised twice a day, eats well, is sociable with people and dogs and happy in the company of our other dog.
This has happened occasionally over the past couple of years but in the past week has happened 5 times with normal evenings in between.
Any opinion or advice you could give would be gratefully received
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Because of the frequency of the episodes, I wonder if Rufus is suffering from Petite mal Epileptic seizures. These are milder manifestations of Epilepsy that are harmless unless they move into full gran mal seizures. I would recommend that you have your vet examine him and run blood tests since other metabolic issues can cause neurologic issues such as you describe.

I worry that Rufus is having more of these episodes so it is important to find the cause for this that may or may not require treatment.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your opinion. I feel that it seems to be more anxiety related. My husband seems better than me at stopping the behaviour and on occasion it has gone on way beyond the time you would expect a petit mal to last.
I wonder about anxiety because he is a very sensitive dog, very aware of tone of voice, even in family conversation. Also my elderly mother has had some falls lately and had to stay with us due to a fracture. Rufus would not move from her side and pushed into her bedroom to sleep each night. We put up a stair gate and he got over it and into her room, moved it to the top of the stairs and he still got over it. Even now when she visits he is by her side whenever she moves and very attentive to her.
I won't rule anything out though and if it continues I will take him to the vet.
I would value your opinion on whether anxiety could be a cause of the behaviour.
HI Beverly...considering Rufus's behavior with your mother, this certainly could be an anxiety issue....perhaps try using a DAP Collar on him which is a canine pheromone that acts as an anti anxiety agent or ask your vet for an anti anxiety medication. That would help you, Beverly, rule out petite mal seizures.

Does that make any more sense, Beverly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for that. Sorry not to get back to you before but my cat was diagnosed with diabetes while this was ongoing!
I have DAP spray and will try it out if the behaviour reoccurs. Thankfully there have been no repeats since Saturday.

Again many thanks for your advice.
Thank you so much, Beverly, for the update.....I hope Rufus responds....

Have a great day, Beverly.