Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

My dog is 14 years old. Healthy by all accounts but today had

My dog is 14 years old. Healthy by all accounts but today had black stools. Shouls I be worried
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 3 years ago.
This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help but I have a few questions.

Was the stool normal otherwise (not diarrhea)?
Has she lost any weight recently?
Has there been any change in her diet recently?
Does she have any medical conditions or take any medications?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Stools were fine and no weight loss. No medication and no change in diet.

Thank you for answering those questions. Black stool typically is indicative of digested blood and can mean some bleeding in the stomach or small intestine. It can be caused by numerous things such as ulcers, kidney disease or cancer. It is something to be concerned about and have checked by your veterinarian. It's also possible that she may have eaten something that you don't even know about but at her age it's better to be safe than sorry. As long as she is acting normal and her gums are a normal pink color I think you can wait to have her seen until tomorrow. After the physical exam your vet may recommend blood tests or possibly an x-ray. If you have more questions please reply back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the reply. Her gums are a pale pink. She most definately hasn't eaten anything odd. Although she has a small lump in her neck and has had a moment of struggling to breath, we thought this was a fur ball. This worried me the other day as she fell over and her lips went above her gums. As she is old but still very good natured we are thinking it may be sinister.

I'm definitely a little more concerned then. Pale gums could be a sign of bleeding in the intestines and a dog with anemia could have difficult breathing and fainting episodes. Hearing that I think it's best that you have her seen as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for all your advice. We will get her checked A.S.A.P.

You're welcome. Good luck.