Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

my dog has been attacked by a dog and now she is limping on

my dog has been attacked by a dog and now she is limping on her back leg and very subdued
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear your little Sasha was attacked!

Dr. Altman :

Unfortunately dog bites can be quite bad causing trauma to underlying muscle and tendons and since the mouth is full of bacteria can also introduce an infection into the area

Dr. Altman :

Ideal is to seek a veterinary er today to have the wound clipped and irrigated along with getting her started on oral antibiotics and pain medication to prevent further infection and to relieve her pain which she must be in from this attack

Dr. Altman :

Unfortunately home care might include being able to trim hair and clean the wound with an oatmeal-based dog shampoo or ivory soap and water but if she is subdued then she has to be in moderate pain as well and getting her veterinary care is the best way to prevent this from progressing to a more severe infection in that leg

Customer:

i can not actually see a dog bite....i didnt see the dog bite her leg but when i touched her leg she howled in pain, she wont drink or eat.

Dr. Altman :

So there was no puncture to the skin but likely trauma to the muscling and tendons, possibly even the bone below

Dr. Altman :

Do you have a veterinary er in your area?

Customer:

yes...but its not open today

Dr. Altman :

There is really nothing safe over the counter in this situation

Dr. Altman :

Aspirin can be used but if there is any bleeding it can make things worse because it reduces clotting

Dr. Altman :

You can take a moist towel and put it in the freezer and wrap the leg in it, rotating hourly to reduce swelling and pain

Dr. Altman :

Your regular veterinary clinic is closed today but there are no emergency clinics available in your area (just to confirm)?

Customer:

i dont think so

Dr. Altman :

And is she licking the area? If so please try to limit this if you are able

Customer:

no she is not

Dr. Altman :

I would contact your regular veterinary clinic. Often we will list what to do in case of emergency on our voice mail for options in your area

Customer:

ok i will thank you