Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question
Sorry to hear about Sam.
Can you please tell me the following :
1. When did it first start
2. is it on all four legs ?
3. is it itchi, does it bleed ?
4. what type of treatment did Sam get till now ?
it started 2 years ago yes on four legs he licks it a lot Ihave
and yes it dose bleed at time
metacam for pain and steroid tablets
not had an answer yet
for how long has he been on steroids ? Has it shown any improvident since starting ?
What answer are you awating ?
he has been on steroids on and off for 2years
he has shown some improvement but Im worried about the pads peeling off and what to do for the beat
Thank you for your answers .
By what you are describing there could be several reasons for Sam's ongoing condition.
1. autoimmune disease - in which the body is attacking the keratin (a type of fiber) in the pads and thus making them weak and fall off.
2. could be fungal or bacterial origins which have infected his paws and are very persistent
3. could be of cancer origin (most unlikely so don't get worried , but still need to be considered), at times the paws are an indication of Cancer elsewhere in the body .
So what to do next -
the paws need to be tested , biopsied and sent for histological analysis in a laboratory . this could be done by your own vet
by looking into the segment , the histologist (tissue investigator) can tell you what is the disease which is affecting the paws as well as suggest a treatment .
Another path you can follow is the seek the help of a dermatologist . your vet can refer your very easily to one in your area which will be able to help greatly .
Skin is a very difficult organ to diagnose and the help of a specialist is often needed.
I hope this helps Sylvia
do you have anything more you wish to ask
know thank you for
You are welcomed
your help Iwill get in touch with my vet once again thank you
It has been my pleasure ..Please before you leave our conversion , do not forget to rate it :)