DR.J
DR.J, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem
74293778

my dog Sam 7years old and for the past two years he has had

my dog Sam 7years old and for the past two years he has had a pad infection I have had all kinds of treatment at the vets change his food do everything the vet asked .
he is now so bad he is in lot of pain his pads are now starting to come off they bleed some times you can see the pink skin under the pad he is not the same dog wont play go for a walk and just picks at his food can you help very worried owner . Sylvia
Category: Dog
Expert:  DR.J replied 2 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

Sorry to hear about Sam.

DR.J :

Can you please tell me the following :

DR.J :

1. When did it first start

DR.J :

2. is it on all four legs ?

DR.J :

3. is it itchi, does it bleed ?

DR.J :

4. what type of treatment did Sam get till now ?

Customer:

it started 2 years ago yes on four legs he licks it a lot Ihave

Customer:

and yes it dose bleed at time

Customer:

metacam for pain and steroid tablets

Customer:

not had an answer yet

DR.J :

for how long has he been on steroids ? Has it shown any improvident since starting ?

DR.J :

What answer are you awating ?

Customer:

he has been on steroids on and off for 2years

Customer:

he has shown some improvement but Im worried about the pads peeling off and what to do for the beat

DR.J :

Thank you for your answers .

DR.J :

By what you are describing there could be several reasons for Sam's ongoing condition.

DR.J :

1. autoimmune disease - in which the body is attacking the keratin (a type of fiber) in the pads and thus making them weak and fall off.

DR.J :

2. could be fungal or bacterial origins which have infected his paws and are very persistent

DR.J :

3. could be of cancer origin (most unlikely so don't get worried , but still need to be considered), at times the paws are an indication of Cancer elsewhere in the body .

DR.J :

So what to do next -

DR.J :

the paws need to be tested , biopsied and sent for histological analysis in a laboratory . this could be done by your own vet

DR.J :

by looking into the segment , the histologist (tissue investigator) can tell you what is the disease which is affecting the paws as well as suggest a treatment .

DR.J :

Another path you can follow is the seek the help of a dermatologist . your vet can refer your very easily to one in your area which will be able to help greatly .

DR.J :

Skin is a very difficult organ to diagnose and the help of a specialist is often needed.

DR.J :

I hope this helps Sylvia

DR.J :

do you have anything more you wish to ask

Customer:

know thank you for

DR.J :

You are welcomed

Customer:

your help Iwill get in touch with my vet once again thank you

DR.J :

It has been my pleasure ..Please before you leave our conversion , do not forget to rate it :)

DR.J, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem
Expert:  DR.J replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sylvia,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going?

Let me know,
James