Doctor H
Doctor H, Veterinarian
Experience:  5.5 years experience practicing small animal medicine in a large urban setting
24698571

my dog , collie age 3, is acting as tho she is hallucinating

my dog , collie age 3, is acting as tho she is hallucinating I have realised she has eaten a spot on flea treatment ... help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doctor H replied 2 years ago.

Doctor H :

Hi, this is Doctor H and I'd be happy to assist you. When did this ingestion take place and what is the product in question?

Customer:

a few hours ago , a spot on product from the vet 2nd dose flea tick and mange treatment

Doctor H :

Is the name of it revolution?

Customer:

advocate xlrg dog

Doctor H :

Okay, was it a single dose or multiple doses? How much does Flick weigh?

Customer:

28 kg , one treatment capsule

Doctor H :

Okay, and how has she been acting and for how long?

Customer:

last couple of hours to begin with she looked like she was serching for something we thought perhaps the cat had brought a mouse in and let it go , then she started panting cant settle and a bit wobbly wont drink

Doctor H :

Any muscle tremors?

Customer:

not that I can see

Doctor H :

So is she acting like she's drunk?

Customer:

yes

Doctor H :

Okay, do you have an emergency vet by you?

Customer:

I've never tried but I need one do I ?

Doctor H :

I think it would be best.

Doctor H :

So Advocate has an ingredient called moxidectin, which is causing the signs you're seeing.

Doctor H :

And it's best to have her on fluids to help get it out.

Customer:

I'm on the phone .. thanks

Doctor H :

BUT the good news is that most dogs totally recover within 48 hours

Doctor H :

It would just be ideal to have her supervised...if she has any tremors then the ER vet can treat them with medication.

Doctor H :

Collies can also be sensitive to moxidectin...did your vet do any kind of genetics test to determine if she is sensitive?

Doctor H :

It's not a big deal if the test wasn't done, but it would be good to know.

Doctor H :

Also Bayer likely has a toll free number for assistance, I would call them and see if they can help out with the cost.

Doctor H :

Let me know if you have any other questions once you're off the phone.

Doctor H :

Otherwise kindly rate my assistance so I may know how helpful I've been.

Doctor H :

Are you still there?

Customer:

yes waiting for phone call from vet

Doctor H :

Oh, okay. Do you have any other questions?

Customer:

no thanks for being there

Doctor H :

You're welcome. Please make sure to rate my service with the icons below. In the meantime you can also call Bayer and see if they can offer any kind of assistance.

Doctor H, Veterinarian
Experience: 5.5 years experience practicing small animal medicine in a large urban setting
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my vet wont see her until the morning

Expert:  Doctor H replied 2 years ago.
Is there an emergency clinic nearby?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not that I know of , my vet said try to get get to drink try soaked bread

Expert:  Doctor H replied 2 years ago.
With all due respect, I don't think that will do much.

It would be ideal for her to be evaluated as soon as possible. See if there are any ER clinics in your area. Otherwise you may have to wait until your vet opens.

In the meantime, Bayer has a hotline for all drug reactions. Call 01635 563000 for further guidance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for your help did find a 24hr vet took her straight in and on a drip and sedated , prompt action means she will be home tomorrow if all goes well .. am changing vets !