Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My Staffordshire Bull Terrier looks very strange since the

My Staffordshire Bull Terrier looks very strange since the weekend. As far as I know nothing has happened to him. However, since Sunday morning  his ears are pulled back, his eyes look weird like he has a surprised look and has dry mouth. He has been struggling to see and this morning ran straight into a tree. I've taken him to 2 vets and they don't think there is anything wrong with him. But I know my dog he's not even a year old yet and I strongly believe he has something serious.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is he having difficulty walking?
3- Did he get into anything?
4- Did the vet do any testing?
5- Any history of cuts/laceration in the last 1-2 weeks?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. Since Sunday morning.

2. He is struggling a little, he seems disorientated.

3. ? Not as far as I know.

4. the vet gave him an anti histamine injection

5. No history of cuts or lacerations.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Can you touch the inner lower part of an eye in the skin and see if he is able to blink?
2- Is he eating and drinking?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1 - Yes he can.

2 - Yes.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Andrea, the symptoms that you are describing are consistent with an infection caused by a bacteria called Clostridium Tetani. This is an infection that produces a toxin that can cause sensitivity to light, interferes with the facial muscles causing the patient to have what is called "Sardonic Smile (risus sardonicus)." In advance stages the patient can become completely paralyzed. Treatment is with the use of antibiotics and antitoxin. Strongly recommend having him rechecked by family veterinarian and discuss with your vet about this condition.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter