Doctor H
Doctor H, Veterinarian
Experience:  5.5 years experience practicing small animal medicine in a large urban setting
24698571

we have just got a 5 yr old yorky hes a olvly Little fella

Customer Question

we have just got a 5 yr old yorky hes a olvly Little fella , but we live in spain we got him from the shelter for dogs , we have tryed everything , to rain him he never dirtys in the flat but wee,s when ever he wonts he is taken out , several times a day and first thing at morning and last thing at night he can go for hrs but then he will wee , after sometimes a couple of hrs where ever he wonts hes becoming hard work , we thought a 5 yr old would be house trained thank you mrs ann hopkinson
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doctor H replied 3 years ago.

Doctor H :

Hi, this is Doctor H and I would be happy to assist you with your housetraining issue.

Doctor H :

Unfortunately some dogs are not properly housetrained for one reason or another (typically due to lack of consistency from their prior pet parents).

Doctor H :

What have you tried so far to try and housetrain him?

JACUSTOMER-6ls9iue6- :

i have tryed everything i dont understand he can go hrs then he will wee twice in 4hrs and over night hes took out , last thing , but nearly always wee,s in the night

Doctor H :

Can you please be more specific in regards XXXXX XXXXX you've tried? Have you tried crate training him?

JACUSTOMER-6ls9iue6- :

no we havent tryed crate training we live in a small aprtment but we thought alittle dog would be fine and being aged 5 we thought he would be trained , what about his wáter ,should e leave it down at night but have tryed taking it up before we go to bed

Doctor H :

I'm going to need you to stay in the chat so I may help you.

Doctor H :

Well, unfortunately he is not trained so it will up to you work with im.

Doctor H :

him*

Doctor H :

I would recommend investing in a small to medium crate. It should be large enough for him to lay down in comfortably but not so large that he can urinate in section and hang out in another.

Doctor H :

He should be in the crate whenever you are not keeping a razor-sharp eye on him. In the meantime, you need to walk with him outside and give immediate verbal praise as well as a food treat when he urinates and/or defecates outside.

Doctor H :

Regardless, please do not limit is water intake as it can potentially cause dehydration.