Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has swallowed a guitar pick. He is a 9 week old Hungarian

My dog has swallowed a guitar pick. He is a 9 week old Hungarian vizsla. What do I do?!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Do you have hydrogen peroxide?
2- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I donut have hydrogen peroxide and he weighs around 16lb
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Jemma, you are right to be concern about a possible obstruction. If it has been 2 hours since he ingested the pick if you move quickly and get him to a vet immediately they can induce vomiting with a medication called apomorphine. If you can not get him to a vet immediately this is what you can do:

1- Change his diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the pick out in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract.
2- If during the next 2-3 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of potential obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet.

Note: Make sure you check his feces for the pick. If you do not see the pick in 2 days within the feces have him checked by family veterinarian for xrays with contrast (barium).

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter