Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

lab 5yr old keeps throwing head back as if looking for

lab bitch 5yr old keeps throwing head back as if looking for flyes
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome ... My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

I think you might have hit the nail on the had with your question, you see there is a dog disease called Fly Catchers Syndrome { also called Star Gazing Syndrome }

Scott Nimmo :

I will tell you a bit more about it ... In its classical form these dogs appear to be staring fixedly at objects far in the distance or watching imaginary flies buzzing in front of its face and then trying to bite the flies, they can spend a considerable amount of time engaging in this behaviour. From the literature the possible listed causes are :

Scott Nimmo :

1. A compulsive disorder of some kind, this could be treated with behavioural therapy or drugs such as prozac.

2. Some form of petit mal epilepsy, this could be treated with anti-convulsive drugs such as phenobarbitone.

3. Some form of neck / spinal problem, the disease syringomyelia has been implicated in some breeds. This could be treated with anti-inflammatory drugs.

Scott Nimmo :

What to do about it? : Well while the above are all the listed causes I know of, from my personal experience this can be a very difficult disease to treat. There is not really any scope for home treatment here so my advice has to be that you should have a vet check your dog over and if appropriate prescribe some treatment.

Hello again Wallace,

I see you have given me a poor rating , this obviously is of concern to me but of much more concern to me is the welfare of your dog Teal.

If I could have safely suggested a home remedy believe me I would have done so, so sadly the only ethical advice I can get is to get your vet involved ASAP.

I hope this is something which is easily resolved for Teal.

Regards,

Scott