DR.J
DR.J, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem
74293778

my 8 1/2 year old whippet still has a snotty nose 2 years after

my 8 1/2 year old whippet still has a snotty nose 2 years after getting kennel cough. he is on penicillin and prednisolone which keeps it kind of at bay but are there any natural remedies I could try?
Category: Dog
Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

Sorry to hear about Milo

DR.J :

could you please tell me what tests have you done in order to determine that it is all along Kennel cough ?

Customer: Hi he became quite poorly with the kennel cough and was given antibiotics. The snoty nose just never cleared up. He had his nose scoped and swabs taken. The swabs showed ecoli and this was treated successfully but snot continued. He was scoped again and the swabs showed streptococcal for which penicillin was prescribed. The ecoli was clear. Although most if the time the snit is minimal occasionally it's bad which is why he has just started the prednisonole. He's really fit and healthy. Comes mountain biking without problems ... He's just snotty !
DR.J :

is it a clear discharge ?

DR.J :

does it come from both nostrils ?

DR.J :

indeed you have done much in order to diagnose the discharge - scoping and sending samples to be cultured is the best course of action . the question remains why is he still showing discharge which points us towards other possibility (when all antibiotic effort has been exhausted).

Customer: Just one nostril virtually all the time. Mostly clear. Occasionally thick green
DR.J :

has he ever had an Xray done on his skull ?

Customer: No he reacted badly to the last anaesthetic so we didn't take it any further with investigations as the penicillin seemed to help
DR.J :

A problem I faced twice - especially with greyhounds / whippets and that family was a dental disease which projected towards the nasal cavity - at times the root of the tooth projects upwards into the nasal sinus and results in ongoing infections which never go away .

DR.J :

it even at times moves entirely up in the jaw and gets stuck in between the oral cavity in the nasal one . this is something which would be at times hard do see in endoscopy.

DR.J :

another thing would be a forging body which might be there as well , but you said that he has been scoped twice so they would have picked up on it by now if that was the case .

DR.J :

Lastly a fungal infection is another thing to consider . if a sample was sent for testing - you would have had an answer

DR.J :

the botXXXXX XXXXXne is the following - this nasal discharge is secondary to something else meaning that there is something causing all these repetitive bacterial infections (they are not primary) and you have yet to discover what it is .

DR.J :

the use of steroids and antibiotics keeps the secondary infection at bay , but once you stop them , it all comes back (am I right?!)

Customer: Yes
DR.J :

If it was a case of allergic irritation then the steroids would have made a huge difference , but that is not the case as I understand .

Customer: He has only been on the steroids for a couple of weeks. They made a huge difference initially then stopped. Ha was prescribed a stronger dose. The same has happened. Big difference for a few hays then it's gradually returning
DR.J :

I think the major primary problem is still a mystery to us and needs further investigation . what I would start with is doing a survey of Xrys of the skull (agree to hold him down with mild sedation - perhaps your vet will allow if you wish to avid general anesthesia) .

DR.J :

I wouldn't want you to settle for a life of steroids. it is not environmental allergy (it'a only one nostril that acts up as you said yourself - so there is a localized problem within it ) .

DR.J :

another problem with need to consider is a possible parasite situated in the sinus - these are placed by flies of sheep

DR.J :

As you take him running in the countryside - perhaps via the farmlands , this is also something to consider .

DR.J :

so the plan is :

DR.J :

1. have an Xray done of the skull - it could be a tooth that moved to where it's not wanted , a foreign body which got lodged or else

DR.J :

2. consider having another endoscopy by someone else (more skilled perhaps ) and take a sample of the tissue in the nose (not just a swab)

DR.J :

this discharge will not end with steroids and antibiotics I can promise you that

DR.J :

Is there anything you wish to add or ask ?

DR.J :

I hope this helps

DR.J :

In case you have anymore questions - let me know and I shall be back ASAP to help

Customer: I think probably the X-Ray is the way forward. My vet said that was the next thing to try he was just reluctant because of the anaesthetic if the antibiotics were keeping it under control we agreed on that course of action. I could see if he was happy with mild sedation. He is very approachable. The only other thing I wondered was if there were any natural remedies that are worth trying as I don't really want him on medication for the rest if his life
DR.J :

I can not think of any natural remedies which would amend or improve the nasal discharge. Did he not perform the endoscopy under general anesthetics ??

DR.J :

did your vet perform an nasal endoscopy or did he look via the same apparatus you look when looking down a dog's ear ?

DR.J :

I shall be awaiting your reply .

DR.J :

In case you have left the chat , please do not forget to rate it .

DR.J :

I wish you all the best (both of you).

DR.J :

James

Customer: Yes both scopings were done under a general the second with new specialist equipment that we delayed for its arrival.
DR.J :

I see, that is very good.

DR.J :

In that case we are left with our next step - which is the xray exam to see if anything can be located .

DR.J :

As I said before , the face of it being one nostril only directs us towards it being a localized problem which is coming either from the nostril or from the sinus . in both cases we need to start be doing an xray and see if there are any obviuse changes

DR.J :

I do hope this helps and give you a point in the right direction. in regards XXXXX XXXXX original question . sadly there is not natural remedy which will help with Milo's presenting symptoms that I know of

DR.J :

Do let me know if you have any further questions

DR.J :

please , before leaving our conversation , do not forget to rate it .

DR.J :

DR.J :

James

DR.J, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem