Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

sometimes when my dog is lying down,a sort of discharge comes

Customer Question

sometimes when my dog is lying down,a sort of discharge comes out of her rear end.could this be a kidney infection.she is an 11 year old XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This discharge that you see has nothing to do with a kidney issue. This may be due to a polyp within the colon that is causing this discharge or it may be that Pepi has arthritis that is affecting the anal sphincter allowing some of teh stool to leak out.

The best thing to do is to take Pepi to your vet for an exam. This will check for metabolic issues and chaeck for arthritis.

For now, try giving Pepi aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs which will decrease the inflammation that may be compressing the nerve supply and allowing this discharge.

If there is no improvement, have your vet check Pepi.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Paul, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Pepi will do well.

Have a wonderful day!