Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

my dog has pain in her shoulder. She is an old dog I tok her

Customer Question

my dog has pain in her shoulder. She is an old dog I tok her to the vet and he thinks it may be a tumour and she may have to be put down. Is this true?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

First, I am so sorry you are in this predicament with Rainbow

Dr. Altman :

Certain types of tumors such as bone cancers are terribly painful and are very difficult to control pain and give a quality of life for any extended period of time. The only real relief can be with radiation therapy but this is quite pricey, needs to be done at a large veterinary facility that not all offer, and is a temporary reprieve from pain

Dr. Altman :

If she was responding well to the steroids at a higher dose then perhaps returning to that dose and discussing tramadol for pain as well in combination might be a an option

Dr. Altman :

Often x-rays are quite definitive for this diagnosis but sometimes we have a case that we need to take some biopsies of the muscle or bone to definitively give you that answer

Dr. Altman :

CLICK HERE for a great pain scale score to monitor Rainbow with. Often if you note that she is becoming more painful and not as responsive to the pain medication then an increase in dose might be warranted

Dr. Altman :

Unfortunately these pain medications are temporary solutions though...in early cancer of the leg amputation is often an option but if there is metastasis/ spread to the lungs or abdomen then this is not a viable solution to relieve pain and give an extended reprieve from these types of cancer

Dr. Altman :

Please let me know how else I can assist you both, believe me I understand how difficult this process can be and I hope I am able to assist in understanding a little bit more about what is going on with Rainbow

Dr. Altman :

I am on-line an additional 40 minutes before taking a break for a little bit but will return to check in as soon as I am able if you respond...

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!