Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My female collie is almost 2 years old she was spayed last

My female collie is almost 2 years old she was spayed last August and since has gained weight is there a specific food that I can put her on as she now needs to lose 4 kg if she is to continue doing agility as I have been told she is now too heavy for the jumps. She is currently 19.5 kilos.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Daisy has gained weight since her spay surgery. The change in hormone levels and the fact that she is now done growing at about 2 years of age, so her metabolism is slower, are probably both contributing to her weight gain.

Most over the counter "diet" or weight loss foods are not significantly decreased in calories enough to really help with weight loss, though they may slow weight gain.

I find a prescription diet foods are often much more effective at getting the weight off. The best foods I have found for weight loss are Hills Prescription Diet Canine Metabolic Advanced Weight Solution or Hills Prescription Diet Canine r/d. Both of these foods are available from your veterinarian.

I am glad to see that she is getting more exercise as well, dogs that exercise tend to have a higher metabolic rate and so tend to be more successful at weight loss.

Make sure all family members, neighbors and friends know that she is struggling to lose weight, how unhealthy the extra weight is for her and how it is holding her back. Unless everyone works together on her goal of weight loss, and no one is slips her extras, you won't be successful in getting the weight off.

If you are being very strict with her diet, with no extra treats, and getting her to exercise more and she still isn't losing weight then I recommend checking a blood test called a complete thyroid profile. A T-4 measurement alone is not enough, it can be inaccurate.

Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.