Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

5 month old puppy punctured hair dye bottle yesterday at noon

5 month old puppy punctured hair dye bottle yesterday at noon think he may have tasted some but wasn't all over . He is ok but seems quiet and tired . What symptoms should I look out for .
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This can be concerning, but in general the hydrogen peroxide in most hair dyes make dogs vomit right away. But our longer term concerns are kidney failure, local irritation to the mouth and esophagus and stomach along with hemolytic anemia. So, as a safety precaution I recommend you have Marley's veterinarian examine him today and run a lab work panel that will check his kidneys. If this looks normal, and he is acting fine, then there is probably no further worries.

Dr. Joey :

What you might observe at home is drooling or vomiting from the irritation to the mouth/esophagus. Anemia might take time to show symptoms.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well not vomited or diarrhoea went for long walk yest and was fine just seemed bit lethargic so wasn't concerned can't afford vets bill just for advice so I think will be fine he not drooling either I will keep eye no him is there anything else I should look for . By the way the dye is in a tube and is semi permanent and does not contain peroxide or ammonia .
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
He may be absolutely fine and did not ingest any significant amount of the product. If he was to develop kidney issues you might notice loss of appetite and increased water intake (and urinations). If he developed anemia you would notice he is very tired and perhaps loss of appetite.

I am conservatively optimistic that he is going ot be just fine. Please keep me posted!