Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My 2yr old female bichon fries is digging out rabbits and killing

My 2yr old female bichon fries is digging out rabbits and killing them why.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed veterinarian and I would be happy to assist you.

Dogs are hunters, biologically, and this is in their genes. Once they kill an animal, it is almost impossible to train this out of them. What I recommend in these cases is to purchase a basket muzzle to have her wear when she goes outside:
http://www.amazon.com/Basket-Cage-Muzzle-Size-SMALL/dp/B002KWPK2O

These allow them to bark and pant, but they can't put anything in their mouth or bite anything when they have it on. She will be able to chase the rabbits, but not kill them.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly... if you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.