Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog is terrified at the vet , last time I took him the vet

Customer Question

My dog is terrified at the vet , last time I took him the vet couldn't control him and he said he was a viscious dog.
The dog is a large staffy and has never been viscious to anyone.
The dog has a large growth on his stomach which hangs down, it isn't attached to his belly so I would guess its a cyst.
But I can't take him to the vet.
Unless there is a way of sedating him, tried a sedative once before but it didn't knock him out at all.
What can I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your situation...this is not uncommon because the vets office is a very fearful place for many dogs.

In my clinic, we prescribe a large dose of Acepromazine to be given at home 1 hr before coming to the clinic. It appears that your vet has tried this but the dose is not large enough...this medication, in pill form, has a large margin of safety and very effective at calming Rocky down so your vet can remove this mass.

Talk to your vet about this....

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Julie, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.

Have a wonderful day!