Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a 6 year old border collie who wanders about the house

Customer Question

I have a 6 year old border collie who wanders about the house all night, drinks a lot and seems to lick his lips and make noises with his mouth mainly at night. I have had his teeth checked and the vet says they are alright.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

From the symptoms that you describe, I believe that Bud may be suffering from GERD or Gastrointestinal Reflux Disease. This is an excess of stomach acid that is causing poor Bud a great deal of pain....this is making him feel nauseous and uncomfortable.

The treatment for this is as follows:

Fast Bud for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.

Give Bud Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.

Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes

After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If he is feeling better, it would be best to change Bud's food to one for a sensitive stomach such as Royal Canin for dogs with a sensitive stomach....do thsi slowly.

If this treatment is not effective, have your vet check Bud to be sure we did not miss something.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It sounds as if you could be right but I cannot get the things you said at the chemists they do not keep the first and say the second is prescription only. I have some lansoprazole that sounds similar could I use this.
Jennifer
HI Jennifer...that medication is similar to Prilosec and this will help Bud if this is a digestive disturbance. The dose of this is 0.5 mg per pound every 24 hrs.

Good luck, Jennifer...so sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you.

Thank you so much, Jennifer, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Bud can get some rest soon!

Have a wonderful day!