Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hi there. My six month old puppy is coughing. He has been

Hi there. My six month old puppy is coughing. He has been vaccinated (months ago) against kennel cough and is fully up to date with all other vaccinations. I noticed he was scraping his bottom on the floor so I wormed him today but what can this cough be? It seems to be when he gets up from lying down but also at other times. thanks very much
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is the cough like a hack/gag?
2- Any nasal or ocular discharge?
3- Any other symptoms?
4- Does he have diarrhea?
5- What is the name of the dewormer?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he seems absolutely fine and in good form, the cough is more like he is trying to dislodge something but no nasal/ocular discharge. He does have a bit of diarrhoea but, being a puppy and eating stuff he shouldn't he almost always does except first poo of the day. the dewormer is called milbemax. thanks so much

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Julia, the bacteria we vaccinate against is called B. bronchiseptica which is also commonly called Kennel cough. But, there are other viruses and bacterias that will cause kennel cough that we do not vaccinate against. It is possible he has one of those that we do not vaccinate against.
As far as the diarrhea, intestinal parasites and dietary indiscretion are both very common causes in a young dog like Bandha, deworming with Milbemax is a great place to start. In addition, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

For the cough this is what you can do:

1- Robitussin DM (cough) 1 teaspoon every 8 hours. You can buy this over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
2- Open the hot water in your bathroom and allow him to breath the vapor steam for 5 minutes 2-3 times a day. This will clear and hydrate his airway.
3- If no significant improvement in 2-3 days after doing the above have him checked by family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.