Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

hi i have a 9 year old German shepherd dog shes really strong

Customer Question

hi i have a 9 year old German shepherd dog shes really strong and healthy we walk over 2 hours a day i am wondering if its save to breed her i was asking people on line half of them say no and half say yes i understand breeding is not a money maker and no pups will be in shelters as i plan to keep the pups i'm willing to spend a lot of money on getting her x ray and a vet out my question is is it too risky what can go wrong what is your experience on this is there a test to tell you how she will do thanks a lot

Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question. I am glad to hear your 9 year old is in such great shape.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

My advice would be no. I usually recommend that a dog have her first litter no later than 5 years of age. You would probably have problems getting her to take at this age, even if you do breed her.

There is no test telling you for sure how she would do. If you were going to do this, I would start with basic blood tests and urinalysis to be sure her kidneys and other internal organs are functioning like a two year old dog's. Then I would Xray her pelvis both to check her hips and her birth canal. Even if you did every tests I can think of, she may still end up needing a C section, or having serious problems with the birthing and nursing.

If you decide to breed her, and if she takes, and if she has puppies, this is still a big risk for her health; she may never be as fit and healthy again as she is now. If her health is your only concern, then I would not risk it for puppies.

Please let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You would probably have problems getting her to take at this age, even if you do breed her. may i please ask what do you mean by take?

but also thank you for the good advice!!

michael

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, breeder lingo! I mean getting her pregnant. You may breed her, but she may not get pregnant.

You are welcome! Is there anything else I can answer?

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK THANK YOU FOR THAT INFO.

I Was just wandering what risks it can be? and have you got much experience in older dogs getting pregnant ? how did this end up?

michael

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I have never worked with a breeder who bred a dog this old. Most breeder retire them long before 9 years of age.

I have seen accidental, unwanted pregnancies happen in older dogs. The most common thing is small litters, needing to have a Ceasarian section because the dog's older uterus is not strong enough to push the puppies out.

There could also be problems during nursing, like "milk fever" or "eclampsia". Eclampsia happens when so much of the mother's calcium goes into her milk, that her own calcium level goes dangerously low. Another potential problem would be not having enough milk, so you would have to help raise the puppies.

The worst complication I saw was a 13 year old pregnant dog. Her body muscles got weakened, and the puppy (thank goodness there was only one) dropped outside her abdomen, and was growing just under the skin, in a hernia. Both nearly died, but emergency surgery saved them both.

I would never consider breeding my own dog at this age. Too much risk!

Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the good rating.

Rebecca.