Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

hello for the past week my dog has gone off his food hes

hello
for the past week my dog has gone off his food
he's quite lethargic and trembles a lot
he's also started to lose weight
uninterested in his dog treats and bones
theres been no sickness or loose stools
he will be 10 this november and he's a very large crossbreed between a boxer / german shepherd /akita
his normal weight is about 7 stone
any idea's would be most welcome
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he drinking more than usual?
2- Have you offered him human food? If so, did he eat it?
3- Is he walking any different?
4- Any other symptoms?
5- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
6- Can you take his rectal temperature?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he's actually drinking less than normal

tried offering him chicken but he's reluctant to take it kind of nibbles on it and leaves it

he appears to be walking ok i.e .... no limping.. he;s just very lethargic like he can't be bothered

sorry can't take his temp .. he doesn't appear to be hot and like i mentioned i'm not sure the trembling is down to being cold

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Anita, as you may already know lethargy and anorexia are not diseases but symptoms of an underlying medical problem. Many diseases that affect dogs will cause lethargy and anorexia, very non specific symptoms. In this case, the fact that he is trembling it can be a sign of pain (neuromuscular or abdominal), a fever (infection, tumors), etc. As far as the weight loss it is most likely secondary to not eating.
In this case, to determine the exact underlying cause Scoobs will need a hands on examination with family veterinarian and some testing (blood work and xrays) as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime, I would recommend you force feed him a bland diet of rice with boiled boneless chicken or ground beef, if possible blend the food and force feed with a turkey baster.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter