Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Weve noticed that our 7-year old labradors is darker

We've noticed that our 7-year old labrador's urine is darker than normal when he urinates first thing in the morning. It looks as though there may be blood in the urine. What is the likely cause of this, please?

Brenda Garstang
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question Brenda. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he urinating more frequently?
2- Are you seeing red color or dark yellow?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, he is not urinating more frequently and his water consumption has not increased.

We think we are seeing dark red in the urine.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Brenda, in a male dog common causes for bloody urine are: Urethritis (inflammation of the urethra), bladder stones, prostate/ kidney disease or an infection. It is also important to remember that urine color is directly related to water intake, the less water the patient drinks the more concentrated will be the urine and the darker in appearance.
In this case, the first place to start is by a hands on examination and urinalysis by family veterinarian. If you are not able to collect a urine sample, your vet can collect a sample in the clinic. Make sure he drinks 1-2 hours prior to the office visit. To get him to drink you can offer low sodium chicken broth.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter