Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

We have a 14 year old border collie/bearded collie cross who

Customer Question

We have a 14 year old border collie/bearded collie cross who has developed arthritis on his front paw.-he now limps quite badly. Is there anything we can do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear that Hades is not feeling well. There area couple things that will really help him and make him more comfortable.

Give Hades aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs.

Give Hades a daily supplement of Glucosamine/Chondroitin which adds lubrication to his joints and decreases pain. This is available at the pet store.

If this is not enough, your vet will have stronger medications to help Hades and ease his discomfort.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is aspirin safe for dogs?

Yes, Linda...aspirin is the only over the counter anti inflammatory meidcations safe for dogs as long as Hades has something in his stomach....make sure to give thsi with food.