Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

my female lurcher is 18 months old and yesterday came home

Customer Question

my female lurcher is 18 months old and yesterday came home with what looked like a cyst on the underside of her ribcage, She now has similar lumps in her arm pits and more on her stoamach and rib cage. She is listless and has vomitted.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears that Clementine is suffering from an allergic reaction that causes these cysts and the vomiting. The treatment for this is Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs. It may be that Clementine has been bitten by an insect or something that has caused this. If the Benadryl does not help, then your vet will have to examine Clementine to see if we have missed something.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. Roughly how long might it take for the benadryl to kick in? Also, I am in Ireland so is there a generic name for benedryl or is that the generic name? And can I just give her the over the counter stuff that is meant for people?

HI Kieran....Benadryl is also called Diphenhydramine. It is a common anti histamine so you should be able to get this from the chemist. This is the human product, Keiran and you should see improvement within hours to a day.

Thank you so much, Kieran, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I will send you a follow up in a few days to see how Clementine is doing and if I can answer any other questions.

Have a wonderful day!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just 3 more questions. We don't have Benadryl here. It is called dihydrochloride. The chemist said just to check it's ok because it is not what you originally suggested. Also, it's a liguid so hat would the dose be in ml's? My dog is 45lbs so would it be 4.5ml every 12 hours?
Thanks do much. Kieran
Sorry, Kieran, I am not familiar with this anti histamine...

Try Cetirazine (Zyrtec) or Chlorpheniramine 2 tablets every 8 hrs.
Good morning, Kieran. This is Dr. Loretta checking in on Clementine. Is she doing any better? Thanks!