Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My ten year old mongrel has been sick and emptied her

My ten year old mongrel bitch has been sick and emptied her bowels and is very listless and confused and appears to have lost her apetite .
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed veterinarian and I would be happy to assist you.

Let me gather more information.
When did the vomiting start?
When did the diarrhea start?
Any change in diet or treats or any table scraps recently, specifically fatty or meat ones?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She was sick etc during Tuesday night .There has been no change to her diet or treats.She does not get treats from the table.

Is she spayed? If not, when was her last heat cycle?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

2mollie is a rescue dog who came to us aged six and a half(estimated at dog shelter)and we had her chipped and speyed immediately.

Okay. Here is what I would do. I would not give ANY food or water for the next 6 hours. I would go to the store and purchase some Prilosec 20mg tablets and I would give her one by sticking it in the back of her throat and closing her mouth until she swallows. Then. after 6 hours, if she has not vomited, I would offer her a half cup of water. If she holds that down for a half hour, then I would offer 1/4 cup of a bland diet of boiled chicken breast or lean ground beef mixed 50/50 with white rice. If she holds that down, you may feed 1/4 cup of this every few hours for 2 days or until she seems back to normal. Once she is no longer vomiting, if she still has diarrhea you can give her 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt twice daily or 1 tablespoon of canned pumpkin twice daily to help return her stool to a normal consistency.

If she continues to vomit despite the above tactics, then you will need to take her to a vet.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly... if you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.