How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Dan Your Own Question
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 8925
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Dan is online now

My dog has eaten some grains of rentokil rat poison. Im guessing

Resolved Question:

My dog has eaten some grains of rentokil rat poison. I'm guessing it was about 20g eaten of the blue grains containing 0.005% bromadiolone. She looks fine and her gums are OK too but she may have eaten it 3 hours ago. It's too late to call the vet so I'm wondering what I should do.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I'm sorry that your pooch has done this to you! Even small amounts of this poison can be very bad news. Since it has been 3 hours then causing her to vomit will not likely cause her to vomit up the poison as it is most likely digested. We have several hours before the poison takes full effect so we can wait until morning to see the vet. She needs to see the vet right away in the morning to get her vitamin K1 injections and start on the oral Vitamin K1 antidote. A couple of weeks on this specific Vitamin will be the antidote to the poison and after that she'll likely be fine. In order for her to be fine she must get started on the vitamin K1 right away in the morning.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the advice. I'll call in to the vet in the morning. I read on a Rentokil Data Sheet that a 10kg dog would have to eat 2kg of bait so I wasn't that concerned that my 20kg dog must have had around 20g but I'll still go to the vet in the morning if you think it necessary?

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Great question! You had me question what I told you so I went back and looked it up. I ran across cases where a 75lb dog ate 15g of the bait and ended up having bleeding side effects. I would definitely see the vet in the morning and start Vitamin K1 therapy.

Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Questions