Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I took my dog to the vets yesterday after he had d&v and a

Customer Question

I took my dog to the vets yesterday after he had d&v and a swollen nose and rash in his ears. The vet gave him 3 injections, antibiotic, antihistamine and anti sickness. I have only been feeding him plain rice and chicken. He appears better in himself but the swelling on his nose has not gone down, is swelling near his eyes and i've just noticed his ears are swollen too. I am giving him zantac 3 times a day, antepepsin 3 times a day and antibiotics twice a day.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.

Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
You've described a type III hypersensitivity reaction in Ozil which can occur secondary to an abnormal response to an envenomation, environmental allergen such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, drugs, ectoparasiticides, food, vaccinations, and even changes in the temperature and humidity. The standard of care is to provide antiallergenic corticosteroids such as prednisone.

Antihistamines such as that with which he was injected and the Zantac are helpful in preventing such a reaction but less so when treating the reaction. Antibiotics are rarely indicated. The gastrointestinal protectant and mild antacid Antepsin (sucralfate) is helpful in comforting Ozil after his vomiting bouts.

Because swelling persists it would be prudent to ask for oral prednisone to be given at this time at an immunosuppressive dose (2.2mg/kg/day) until you see a definite improvement and then taper the dose down quickly to 2.2mg/kg/day every other day until he normalizes. All the other drugs can be discontinued.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Ozil, please?