Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog keeps cleaning her tail & is starting to get a bald

My dog keeps cleaning her tail & is starting to get a bald patch near the top.

I have wormed her & used flea drops.

she seems to have a small scab.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This does sound concerning for Misty. There are two top problems that can cause this type of behavior. The first is fleas and as long as an effect flea control product was used then this should rule this out as the cause.. What type of flea medication are you (or did you use)?

The second issue is an anal sac problem (over-full, infection). This is something your vet is gong to need to check (you could certainly run her in for a technician to express her anal sacs and this tech will tell you if there is a problem that will require a vet visit.

Beyond this the other issues that could be at play are a skin infection (such as can occur after flea allergy), an underlying orthopedic pain in the caudal equina area or trauma.

Dr. Joey :

For an effective flea product I recommend over-the-counter using Advantage or Advantix. The Frontline Top Spot and Frontline Plus (and their fipronil containing knock-off products) are not longer effective enough for dogs that are flea allergic. From your vet there are a variety of highly effective products such as Frontline TRITAK (newest generation of frontline), Advantage Multi, Revolution or a tablet like Comfortis (cannot use if she is on an ivermectin-based heartworm preventive) or NexGard.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi thank you I cant remember the name of flea treatment as threw the package away.

I have made an appointment for the vet to check her Anal Glands.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
That is the simplest next step. If she has overfull anal sacs then having them expressed might solve this issue. If there is infection then the technician who performs this expression will alert the doctor.

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit.

Kindly submit a rating.
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience: 15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine