Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My six year old staffy was running around in our field two

Customer Question

My six year old staffy was running around in our field two weeks ago.. after this she has been unsteady on her back legs abit floppy should I say some days shes almost okay and then she will be real unhappy its worrying because she is normally such a happy little dog we took her to the vets the day after it happened and they said it may be nerves but just to rest her but she doesnt seem to have got any better..
Any help would be very much appreciated
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response, it appears no experts were available when you posted your question. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she still on Metacam?
2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
3- Prior to her running around and developing these symptoms did she have problems getting up from the floor or going up stairs?
4- Any other symptoms?
5- Did your vet do any testing like xrays, blood work, etc.?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello there yes she is still on metacam. No vomiting or trouble getting upstairs she does suffer from blocked anal glands quite regular and no testing or xrays etc..and any other symptoms she is just very up and down in herself..

This wont cost me another 28 pounds after I reply will it?

Thanks for your help

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
There is no additional charges for replies to my questions or any additional questions that you may have.

1- She is not lethargic, correct?
2- Eating and drinking as usual?
3- So the problems in her back legs basically have good days and bad days, correct?
4- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No since her running around two ago she just hasnt been right on her back end. Shes very unsteady on her back end her paws point out slighty and they didn't before which makes me think it my be her hips or something? She is a little lethargic from time to time feeling sorry for herself but I wonder whether I dont help fussing around her worrying as she is a very sensitive dog she is drinking and eating as normal yes.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Dannu, I agree with your veterinarian, it is possible that her unsteady gait of the back limbs could be related to a nerve disorder. Giving the quick onset and with a history of running prior to the symptoms we need to consider compression of the spinal cord by a bulging disc (intervertebral disc disease). However, I also agree with you, hip disorders (dislocation, arthrtis, degeneration) can also present with a similar gait.
In this case, the next step is to discuss with your veterinarian about taking xrays of the hips and vertebral column as initial screening test. Once your vet has ruled out hip disorders then it is very like a nerve problem as disscussed above is the cause. If your vet does not find anything on the xrays then she may need advance imaging like an MRI or Myelogram to diagnose. Finally, discuss with your veterinarian about switching her medication to something like Prednisone if they conclude that it is a nerve disorder.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help that has cleared things up in my mind a little as our vet didnt mention any of that

Much appreciated

Money well spent

Dan massey

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome Dan. Keep me posted.

Dr. Peter