Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

I have a 7 month old Yorkiepoo, absolutely full of beans, has

I have a 7 month old Yorkiepoo, absolutely full of beans, has regular long walks, had check up with Vet and told nothing wrong. But he does not eat regularly ! Never experienced this before and it worries me. Told to put food down (dried food), leave for short time then remove. Told he will eat when hungry, but why not regularly? Help please.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed veterinarian and I would be happy to assist you.

This is actually common in small breed dogs, and many people make the mistake of supplementing with human food or canned dog food.The reality is that tiny dogs don't need much food, and they often don't eat regular meals, they just pick at their food and eat when they are hungry. If you have one of those dogs who does that, the best thing to do is to purchase a high quality dry dog food. Keep it out all the time, and do not supplement with any other foods or your dog will learn to only eat the other foods and not the dog food. Your dog will eat when he is hungry, and if he is not hungry then he will not eat. Dogs will never starve when there is food available, so do not worry about it.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly... if you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.
For some reason, the site is telling me that you are waiting for action from me, but I cannot see where you have replied to my answer. Please let me know if you have additional questions.