Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My german shepherd (male 8 years-neutered) suddenly collapsed

My german shepherd (male 8 years-neutered) suddenly collapsed and started fitting.on the way to the vets he fitted 3 more times.no previous symptoms first occurence
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed veterinarian and I would be happy to assist you.

Seizures that start past age 7 are typically not due to epilepsy. They can be due to metabolic issues such as liver disease, or they can be due to problems in the brain. Unfortinately, by far the most common cause of seizures in an older dog is cancer in the brain. That is not the only cause, though... it could possibly be a blood clot in the brain, which could resolve, or it could be a cyst in the brain, or possibly something infectious. Your vet should run some basic blood work to rule out metabolic issues, then take some chest x-rays to check for possible spread of cancer. If those tests are normal, then you can consider referral to a neurologist. An MRI can show the cause of the seizures, and then you can potentially consider surgery. I have assisted with multiple brain surgeries on dogs to remove tumors in dogs that are not that old (like your dog) and they do really well. If that is not an option, you can consider anti-seizure medication to see if it will help control the future seizures.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly... if you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you.vet said bloods normal,but he had a temp. of 41.2,down to 40 about 45 mins ago.now resting but breathing heavily at the surgery.

Okay, it sounds like things are going well. Please feel free to let me know if you have any further questions, and remember to rate my service. I wish you the best of luck.