Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a Coker spaniel who is 10 years old. Sine late evening

I have a Coker spaniel who is 10 years old. Sine late evening on Friday he has been unable to use his back legs properly. He seems to be dragging them and is shaking a lot , he doesn't want to move he stands occasionally but doesn't want to walk anywhere. He isn't crying in pain but is off his food .
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he able to stand and support weight?
2- Did he have problems with his back legs prior to this happening?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
5- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
1. Yes can stand and support weight back but is arched.
2. No prior problems
3. Had tumours removed within the last month or so
4. No
5. No
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Natasha, what you are describing is consistent with a possible pinched nerve along the back as result of a bulging disc (intervertebral disc disease). In other words, the disc is placing pressure on the spinal cord and interfering with the nervous input to the back legs. Him shaking and having an arch back are signs of pain. This is actually an emergency; if he is not treated promptly by a veterinarian he could be paralyzed. I would strongly recommend you do Not wait and have him checked immediately by nearest veterinarian. Unfortunately not much I can recommend for you to try at home. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter