Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

He has started to drink a lot of water and then wants to urinate,

Customer Question

He has started to drink a lot of water and then wants to urinate, he is alsio lethargic and not eating
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Toby. Drinking a lot of water (polydipsia) and then forming a lot of urine (polyuria) are danger signs at Toby's age. Here are the disorders we consider...

1) Chronic renal failure - the most common cause of polydipsia and polyuria in the geriatric pet; inappetance and lethargy are common; vomiting and diarrhea may ensue as failure worsens
2) Hepatopathy - some liver disorders cause polydipsia and polyuria
3) Uirnary tract infection involving the kidneys - pyelonephritis (infection of the area in which urine collects in the kidneys)
4) Diabetes mellitus ("sugar diabetes") - these dogs are also polyphagic (increased hunger) until their diabetes becomes severe
5) Cushing's disease - rare - these dogs are also polyphagic
6) Addison's disease - rare
7) Hypercalcemia - increased calcium level in the blood - often due to malignancy
8) Brain tumor - rare but an important consideration

Toby's vet can clarify why Toby is polydipsic and polyuric by performing blood and urine tests. It's best to fast Toby for at least 4 hours prior to a blood draw. Never restrict water, however. I would be pleased to review the test results for you. You need only ask for a copy of the results and then upload them to our conversation.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning I have taken Toby to the vets and they have diagnosed Pancreatitus and diabetes, he has been with them overnight and is being given insulin, he also has a respiratory infection which is being trate with Anti Biotics

Thank you for taking the time to update me. I'm pleased to hear that Toby is being cared for nicely.

I'll change my follow-up for a week from now.

Please disregard the info request.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi his glucose level; came down from 30 to 11 overnight and he did eat a little, he onlly urinated once in the night wich is a big improvment and I am visiting him later today

Tankyou for your help

A good response, indeed. I'll speak to you soon.

Please disregard the info request.