Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 10 month old dog has just eaten the plastic wrapper of a

Customer Question

My 10 month old dog has just eaten the plastic wrapper of a pepperami salami stick. Will he just pass it?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since he ate the wrapper?
2- How much does he weigh?
3- How big was the wrapper?
4- Do you have hydrogen peroxide?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's been about 15 minutes since he ate it.

I don't know his weight as he's only been with us a couple of days.

the wrapper is about 6 inches long and 1cm diameter but it was likey scrunched into a ball.

don't have any hydrogen peroxide

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Shaun, the concern as you already know is the possibility of an obstruction. It is possible that he could pass the wrapper in the stool. But, if you have access to a vet within the next 1-2 hours I would have them induce vomiting with a medication called apomorphine. Inducing vomiting is very safe and you avoid any risk of an obstruction. If you do not have immediate access to a vet this is what you can do:

1- Change his diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the plastic wrapper out in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract. Make sure you check the stool for the wrapper.
2- If during the next 2-3 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of potential obstruction.
3- If you do not see the wrapper in the stool in the next 1-2 days I would have family veterinarian xray him with contrast material (barium) to make sure the plastic is not obstructed. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Pete