Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My is due to give birth in next few days It is her first

Customer Question

My bitch is due to give birth in next few days It is her first litter and I'm wondering if it is safe to leave her in the company of our other dog or seperate them?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Noelle, I'm Dr. Deb and I'll do my best to help you today.

I can understand your concern about Dinky but I do have a few questions to ask about her first if you don't mind:

1. Do she and the other dog get along? How long have they lived together?
2. Will you be leaving them together with no supervision from you or another family member?
3. What breed is your other dog?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes they get along brilliantly and have lived together for 8 months He is a Yorkshire terrier too They will never be left unsupervised
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Noelle:
Thanks for the answers to my questions.

In this situation, then it doesn't sound like you have to separate them until she starts going into labor. She might pace and pant and act uncomfortable during the first stages of it; this is when I'd separate her so she doesn't have to worry about any reaction he may have to her behavior. And, I would separate him from her, of course, during the birthing process and most likely when she's nursing as well

Even though they get along famously now, some moms can be very protective of their pups and don't want other dogs around them...but, this you may already know.
Best to give mom and her babies as much privacy as possible until they're a little older.

I hope this helps and that the delivery goes smoothly. Deb