Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 4 year old dog just had a seizure, it lasted for a couple

My 4 year old dog just had a seizure, it lasted for a couple of minutes. He had one 18 months ago but none in between.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry to learn Jasper had a seizure. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you describe what you saw as a seizure?
2- Any pre existing medical conditions?
3- Is he on any medications?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Jasper's body went stiff, breathing fast, eyes were glazed. He isn't on any medication. He had a leg removed two years ago but no problems. We took his collar off and the fit ended almost immediately. He last had a seizure about 18 months ago
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Was he seen by a veterinarian after the first fit? If so, did they do any testing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, we asked my daughters boyfriends mum who is a vet and she said it was probably a one off. So we just kept an eye on him and has been fine since until tonight.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Debbie, what you are describing is consistent with a seizure as you already know. When a dog seizes there could be an underlying medical problem causing the seizure. Possible causes for seizures in dogs are an under active thyroid (hypothyroidism), kidney or liver disease, hypoglycemia, brain tumors, idiopathic (unknown), etc. to name a few causes. The most common cause in a young dog like Jasper is idiopathic epilepsy, meaning we do not know why the brain behaves in such manner but we can control the seizures with medications (phenobarbital or/and potassium bromide).
In this case, I would highly recommend a check up with family veterinarian for a hands on examination and blood work as initial screening test. The fact that he has only had 2 seizures in a 18 month period medication is not indicated. If the seizures occur more than once a month medication should be started to stop or prevent the seizures.
Observe him tonight, if he seizes again have him checked by ER veterinarian otherwise follow up with family veterinarian. I would also recommend a grain free diet. We are learning that ingredients like gluten (protein in wheat, rye and barley), corn, soy, and casein (protein in milk) can play a role in seizure activity in dogs. Table food and treats should also be free of the above ingredients.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter