DR.J
DR.J, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem
74293778

My lab (10yrs) had a type of fit. He was shaking, panting and

My lab (10yrs) had a type of fit. He was shaking, panting and couldn't stand up. He seemed scared but relaxed when I stroked him and talked to him. His eyes were watering very heavily. After about 5 minutes he seemed to recover and was absolutely fine. A similar event happened when he was about 4 and more recently a few weeks ago. What is itit, should he be on medication. Thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  DR.J replied 2 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

could you please answer the following :

DR.J :

1. Was he responsive during this "fit" to your voice - was he looking at you?

DR.J :

2. was there any type of strange behavior before the "fit" started ?

DR.J :

3. did he do anything like urinate , defecate or salivate during the fit ? was he doing anything else ?

DR.J :

4. what was his behavior after it ended ?

Customer:

Hi James, Yes he was responsive and looking at me and although he was panting heavily and obviously scared he seemed to calm down as I talked to him. Immediately before the fit there was nothing unusual, he was lying in his bed. He did not urinate, defecate or salivate during the fit but his eyes watered heavily as if he was crying. After about 5 minutes he returned to normal, stood up, got out of his bed and walked about happily and normally. Over the past two years he has got increasingly frequently an upset tummy, now its a couple of times a month. He is off his food for the morning, he tries to be sick, eats grass and his tummy rumbles very loudly but usually by lunch time he is fine and has eaten his breakfast, could the two things be related?

DR.J :

Hello again

DR.J :

thank you for the information .

DR.J :

Firstly I do not believe that Jensen is suffering from any fits . what your describe does not account for a fit but rather something else , perhaps a painful episode of sorts which immobilizes him completely till it passes .

DR.J :

there might be indeed a connection with his ongoing intestinal issues . It could be several things which are worth considering - might be food which is not agreeing with him (a type of protein which his tummy is having hard time excepting ), might be a reactive intestines - meaning that they are suffering from some condition such as IBD (irritable bowel disease) which means that his tummy is very sensitive and could even react spontaneously with episodes of diarrhea and pain - such as he presented with today. I could very well be other organs which have to do with the tummy such as the Pancreas which is a very volatile organ that can get easily inflamed and when it does - it is considered a very very painful thing which is accompanied by vomiting and diarrhea. Or perhaps even the liver.

DR.J :

I know this is a lot of information but let me help you plan you next step :

DR.J :

1. pay a visit to your vet and have him run a Full blood profile + Xrays of the abdomen . this will give us great deal of information in regards XXXXX XXXXX organ function as well as a view of his abdomen. Bring with you a urine sample (fresh as possible) and a fecal one as well .

DR.J :

This will with out a doubt put us on the path to resolve poor Jensen's predicament and give us the need information to cure him .

DR.J :

Your vet might wish to send a blood test for an external lab to check for some other things as well , just in order to have a clearer picture .

DR.J :

I hope this helps.

DR.J :

In case you have any further questions please contact me .

DR.J :

I wish you both all the best .

DR.J :

and just one last thing , before leaving do not forget to rate our conversation .

DR.J :

Cheers

DR.J :

James

DR.J, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem