Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Paw thick skin has peeled off - dog still limping

My Sprocker Spaniel started limping a couple of days ago on her walk. I looked at her front paw and found that part of the thick layer of skin has peeled off. She is still limping around the house now, but manages to come out on short walks. What should I do? Thanks.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response, it appears no experts were available when you posted your question. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- So it is the foot pad that has peeled off?
2- Is she licking the area?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the pad has lifted off, and yes, she keeps licking it

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Friend, until the pad heals completely I would recommend you limit her walks to a short walk to urinate and defecate on a leash. This is what you can do until she is seen by family veterinarian to evaluate the injury of the pad:

1- Need to stop her from licking or she is going to delay healing and promote an infection. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at foot pad.
2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to soak the pad (paw) for 5 minutes 2-3 times a day.
3- After soaking pad as above dry the area and apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Then, place a light bandage over the pad. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter