Steve O.
Steve O., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 20 years of canine clinical and surgical experience
31531426

my westie is having a phanthom pregnancy does that mean she

my westie is having a phanthom pregnancy does that mean she has not been sprayed she is a rescue dog
Category: Dog
Expert:  Steve O. replied 3 years ago.

Steve O. :

Hi, I'm Dr STeve.

Steve O. :

If a dog has a false or Phantom pregnancy ,then it means that the ovaries , at least , are still present. These are the structurres that produce the hormones that cause a phantom pregnancy.

Steve O. :

In most cases when a dog is spayed, the ovaries as well as the uterus are removed so they don't come into heat and don't have phantom pregnancies. SInce your dog sounds liek she is having a phantom pregnancy, it is very unlikely that she has been spayed.

Steve O. :

In my experience the quickest and most effective way to stop a phantom pregnancy is to have Sally Ann spayed. THere is another older product called Ovaban that can help relieve symptoms of phantom pregnancy, but spaying is the only way that it will be completely prevented in the future.

Steve O. :

I hope this has helped. I will check later this evening to see if you have more questions. Thanks for your question and good luck.

Customer:

thank you steve i will book her into a vet ,hope it not too expensive as i only on a pension but she not happy and i heard that she more prone to cancer and she a lovely dog ,been my friend since my husband died regards trudy