Dr. Maggie
Dr. Maggie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinarian, General Practitioner
63244966

Cherry eye in 8week old male bulldog what should I do please

Cherry eye in 8week old male bulldog what should I do please help :(
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Maggie replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Maggie :

Hi, this is Dr. Maggie - I am a licensed vet and I am going to try to answer your question today.

Dr. Maggie :

Cherry eyes (or proptosed nictitans glands of the 3rd eyelid) always look pretty alarming, however they don't cause the animal discomfort.

Dr. Maggie :

Treatment for a cherry eye is surgery, but with an 8 week old puppy in all likelihood you will want to wait until he is a little bigger to have surgery done.

Dr. Maggie :

Typically we don't use any topical products with a cherry eye as the animal can still produce tears and keep the eye lubricated normally.

Customer: I would like to show from this male as apart from this he is an outstanding male
Dr. Maggie :

I would recommend getting him in to see your veterinarian for a consultation and to set up a plan for getting the cherry eye fixed at a later date.

Dr. Maggie :

It will be able to be fixed without any permanent scarring.

Customer: Thank you would you have it stitched or removed
Dr. Maggie :

You want to make sure you have the surgery done by a vet that will repair the cherry eye without removing the 3rd eyelid as that can lead to some long-term issues.

Dr. Maggie :

Absolutely not removed.

Dr. Maggie :

Removing the cherry eye can lead to chronic dry eye (keratoconjunctivitis sicca or KCS as it is otherwise called).

Customer: Many thanks
Dr. Maggie :

This is a problem that requires life long treatment and you want to avoid that at all costs.

Dr. Maggie :

You are very welcome.

Dr. Maggie :

Any other questions I can help you with today?

Customer: No thank you
Dr. Maggie :

You are very welcome. If you found this information helpful, please rate my response positively so I can get compensated for my time.

Dr. Maggie :

Best of luck with Sidney!