Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Hi my Staffordshire terrier is acting strangely. He was

Hi my Staffordshire bull terrier is acting strangely. He was ok one minute the next he was running around manically. He ran through the house then came to me when I called but his left leg was shaking and he curled up in a ball in my arms. He remained calm for a few minutes while I comforted him. He then disappeared into the bedroom and settled on the bed. I left him there for about fifteen minutes, then he ran back to me repeating the previous behaviour . On comforting him again he became calm again and settled as I stroked him. When I stopped stroking and comforting him he then lay quietly on the sofa where he is still. He isn't interested in eating at the moment which is unusual. Sorry to be so long winded but I couldn't explain the situation more succinctly. I would greatly appreciate your advice
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This does sound concerning for Diesel. My top suspicion based on your description is if he is experiencing shooting pain that could radiate from his back/spine or a joint. Or this could be a muscle spasm. Of if he has heart or blood pressure issues he may have thrown a blood clot which is quite painful. And finally, a focal seizure type event that could affect just one limb is possible.

Dr. Joey :

The difficult part is to decide if this warrants an immediate veterinary visit or if a wait-and-see approach is okay. If he is resting comfortably for now, then I feel you could safely monitor today to see if this recurs. If he has a third (or even fourth) incident today, then this would be an indication the problem is not going to resolve on its own and an exam by his veterinarian today would be in his best interest. If he does great today (and his appetite should return by tonight; no worried on him not being interested right now), then you should start a notebook of unusual incidents like this so you can then review how often this is occurring. This is what we do for our epileptic seizure patients to try to keep track of how often a seizure actually happens (you need to document what happened in the incident, how long it took him to recover to normal, and of course the date/time).

Dr. Joey :

If you elect to monitor, then I recommend he rest today (no long walks or heavy exercise) and do not worry about getting him to eat immediately. Try feeding him as normal later today.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi thank you for that it was helpful. Diesel has settled a lot since lunchtime ( it's now 5:30pm ) he has eaten his diner and is lying quietly but when he does move he's still animated but not as severe as before. I think from what you've said a watching brief is advisable. My mind is also a lot calmer now as well. thank you again.
Regards Bruce.