Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My cocker spaniel 9years old has started to drink excessive

Customer Question

My cocker spaniel 9years old has started to drink excessive amounts of water wanting to go out a lot more and through the night empting his bladder quite a lot, this morning when cleaning the floor the urine seemed to have a pink tone to it
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are a number of causes for this excessive urinations and one could be a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). This will show with frequent urinations and blood in the urine.

I would also worry that Jasper may be suffering from Diabetes which suppresses the immune system allowing an infection in the bladder. It is very important that you have Jasper examined by your vet right away,. If he does have Diantes , this could be very serious if left untreated.

There are other causes for this blood in the urine such as bladder stones or cancer so make sure your vet does a thorough exam on Jasper so you know exactly what is causing this.....it is something that will require treatment.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If it is diabetes can this be managed, if cancer what sort and if this is possible treatable.

Hi Christine....

If this is Diabetes, it is most often easily manageable with treatment and will give Jasper a long happy life with treatment. Cancer of the bladder is very rare Christine so it is unlikely, luckily, that this is cauisng Jasper's issues....This cancer is treatable but teh prognosis is grave for long term.

From what you tell me Christine, it is probably Diabetes...it is the right age to start this and a bladder infection is common with Diabetes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you so much I feel a little bit more relieved, he is going to the vets on Monday

Much appreciated

Excellent, Christine....then you will know for sure what is cauisng this and how best to treat Jasper to ease his discomfort.