Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 7 year old French bulldog had his eye removed due to a ruptured

Customer Question

My 7 year old French bulldog had his eye removed due to a ruptured cyst/ulcer 6 months ago he suffers with allergies and has piriton medication his other eye has looked red and runny and slighly cloudy could this mean the same problem is occurring in his remaining eye ....thankyou
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow Max suffered a ruptured corneal ulcer which led to having to have his eye enucleated.

Corneal ulcers can occur for several reasons. Without knowing what led to the first ulcer and rupture it is hard to say whether he is getting another ulcer, or if the underlying condition that led to the first ulcer forming is leading to problems in his remaining eye.

Ulcers can form in any dog from simple trauma, including accidents playing with a buddy, a plant piece or dirt getting in the eye, or rubbing his eyes secondary to an infection or an allergic reaction.

If he is developing another ulcer I would look for underlying causes though.

Breeds with large, prominent eyes like French Bulldogs are prone to corneal scratches/ulcers because their eyes are so prominent. But they also have trouble getting tears to adequately hydrate the entire eye as getting the tears over the eye may be difficult because it is so large. So some of these pups will get a dry spot in the center or the eye which can easily get injured or infected because it isn't protected with tears.

Any breed of dog can suffer from a condition called KCS or keratoconjunctivitis sicca (also known as dry eye). This occurs when the dog's immune system attacks the tear glands which leads to decreased tear production and an eye that is dry and easily injured or infected.

Glaucoma or increased eye pressure can cause the eye to swell, thus not allowing the lids to close over the eye, leading to a dry spot and an ulcer.

At this point your fellow needs to see his veterinarian because we want to save his only eye. They can test him for dry eye, stain his eye to look for a corneal ulcer and check his eye pressure.

In the meantime I highly recommend placing an Elizabethan collar (lampshade collar) so he cannot rub and further damage his eye.
You can flush his eye with sterile saline to try and remove any possible foreign material.
I also recommend applying artificial tears to the eye as often as possible, hourly when he is awake if possible. Keeping his eye hydrated can save it. Don't use any artificial tears for a good 12 hours before his appointment to allow a more accurate reading and tell them that you have been applying them when they do examine him.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou so much for advice max went to the vets today and he has a corneal ulcer but its very shallow and is being treated with anti biotic gel thanks again

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome. I am pleased to hear that Max's ulcer is superficial and he is receiving treatment for it.
Please let me know if you have any further questions, and thank you for taking the time to update me, Dr. Kara.